This year, Coalburn Church celebrates 125 years of service to the community in Coalburn.
The first building opened in 1893 as a Mission Station of Abbeygreen Church, Lesmahagow, and by 1895 it was a fully sanctioned charge.This building, made of corrugated iron and lined with wood, was destroyed by fire in 1918 and replaced in 1922 by the current building.
Coalburn Church Nov 2013. Photographer: David Halls
The Jim Hamilton Heritage Society of Coalburn was established in 2004.
Meetings are held normally on the FIRST and THIRD Wednesdays each month; from SEPTEMBER until APRIL, 7.30pm - 9pm, in Coalburn Bowling Club, next to the Coalburn Miners Welfare's One Stop Shop.
There is an invited guest speaker at each meeting and non-members are welcome to attend.
Coalburn's One Stop Shop
The Society runs the Heritage Centre in the One Stop Shop which contains an archive of photographs, documents and artifacts relating to Coalburn's social history and mining heritage. The majority of these were collected by the late Jim Hamilton.
|Secretary||Geoff Brown (Tel. No: 01555 820379)|
|Membership Secretary||Betty Nicol|
An informative 12-page newsletter, designed and produced to a high standard by the Society is published quarterly and distributed FREE to members. (Non-members £2)
It also features a record of village events and articles of local interest submitted by members.
- 2019 Calendars priced £5 are on sale at the Heritage Centre as well as Coalburn Post Office. The theme of the images for this year is Transport.
Coalburn Branch of the Coalburn District Co-operative Society in the 1920s