Last passenger train at Coalburn Station (a Metro-Cammell diesel multiple unit) on 4th October 1965
More historic photos of Coalburn Station and the railway.
The Jim Hamilton Heritage Society of Coalburn was established in 2004.
Meetings are held normally on the FIRST and THIRD Wednesdays each month; from SEPTEMBER
until APRIL, 7.30pm - 9pm, in Coalburn Bowling Club, next to the Coalburn Miners Welfare's One Stop Shop.
There is an invited guest speaker at each meeting and non-members are welcome to attend.
Coalburn's One Stop Shop
The Society runs the Heritage Centre in the One Stop Shop which contains an archive of photographs, documents and artifacts relating to Coalburn's social history and mining heritage.
The majority of these were collected by the late Jim Hamilton.
|Secretary||Geoff Brown (Tel. No: 01555 820379)|
|Membership Secretary|| Betty Nicol|
An informative newsletter, designed and
produced to a high standard by Helen Brownlie of the Society is published quarterly and the printed version is
distributed FREE to members (Non-members £2). It also features a record of village
events and articles of local interest submitted by
An online version is available free to everyone through this website.
- Because of the ongoing coronavirus epidemic, all of the activities of the Society are affected and the Heritage Centre is closed.
However, the newsletter (see below) is still being produced. The printed version is posted to all members by Betty Nicol, but the online version is available through this website. The website has also been updated with new or revised articles throughout the pandemic restrictions.
- The Winter 2020 Newsletter
is now available. 11th Dec 2020.
- A longer version of Alex McMurdo´s Memories of VJ Day, featured in the Autumn 2020 Newsletter, is now available. 4th Nov 2020.
- 5th Nov 2020. Since Alex McMurdo´s article was finalised, the Society has learned that Alex sadly passed away in hospital following a heart attack.
More details of Alex's life can be found in Newsletter 58.
- Andy Brownlie's School Memories with photos. Added on 29th September 2020.
- A new article on Billy Hamilton and his Café/Shop in Lesmahagow was added on the 18th August.
- The article on Ices and Fish and Chips in Coalburn has been updated to include mobile ice cream vans visiting Coalburn.
- A new article on Mobile Fish and Chip Vans in Coalburn. Added 8th July 2020. Updated on the 17th July to include details supplied by Peter McLeish of another mobile van.
- A photograph of Railway Terrace in the 1920s has been added to the section on
- Photos of the filming of The Big Man, 1990.
- A pictorial account of the history of Coalburn Schools. Added 11th February 2020